Given up on many fruits like watermelon concerned they don’t fit in with your lower carb lifestyle? Well, this recipe will balance the natural fruit sugar and lower the glycemic load. It is nutritious and refreshing on hot summer days and you can make it in less than 10 minutes!
- 3 Cups of chopped or balled watermelon (reserve some of the juice for dressing)
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 1/2 Cup finely sliced red onion
- 1 Whole butter lettuce torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 4 Tablespoons chopped mint.
- 1/8 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 medium lime
- 2 Tablespoons watermelon juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon raw honey
- 1/4-1/2 Tsp salt (to taste)
In small bowl, stir together all of the dressing ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
In a large salad bowl combine watermelon, cucumber and onion. When ready to serve, add torn lettuce and chopped mint to salad bowl. Pour dressing over and toss into salad combining all salad ingredients. Top with feta or goat cheese crumbles and serve immediately.
Serves Approx. 4
Nutrition Per Serving: Cal 168, Carbs 17g, Fat 10g, Protein 4g