If you’re a busy woman, whether you are preparing a meal for your family or just for yourself, it’s not always easy to make it simple and healthy at the same time. This recipe does just that. To make it super convenient use a pre-roasted chicken that you pick up at the grocery store. But wait a minute, this is not just that boring old roast chicken, we completely transform it into a Mexican Fiesta that is high nutrient, high fiber, low carbohydrate & delicious! Olay!
Roasted Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 2 large bell peppers
- Approx. 8 oz. cooked roasted chicken
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 Tablespoons water
- 1 small can diced green chilis
- 1/2 cup canned black beans ( drained & rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Mexican style hot sauce to taste ( cholula, tapatio etc)
- 1 cup riced cauliflower or Optional: 1 cup cooked rice (will increase by 6o cal & 13 carbs per pepper)
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut peppers in half, seed & devein then pop them in the oven in a baking dish for 15 minutes while preparing filling.
- In a medium size bowl mix together remaining ingredients accept for the salsa and cheddar cheese.
- Take the semi cooked peppers out of the oven and fill each pepper with 1/4 of the chicken filling mixture. Press down to compact the filling and fill them to overflowing. Top peppers with salsa verde. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for approx 30 minutes. Remove foil and top peppers with cheddar cheese and place back in oven at 425 degrees for another 7-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and just starting to golden in spots.
Makes 4 stuffed peppers.
Per pepper approx. 296 cal, 22g carbs, 21g protein, 14g fat, 5g fiber