Delicious – Quick – Easy – Super Healthy!
Have you ever wanted to prepare salad in advance so you can have it ready to serve but know that it will be soggy in a short time? Or maybe you want to take one with you for lunch but it’s such a hassle to pack the dressing separate. Well, with this summer salad you can put the dressing on right away and even eat it a day later and it’s still crisp and delicious. We use shredded cabbage instead of lettuce. It actually tastes even better after the dressing has been on it for a few hours because it’s had a chance to marinate!
You can certainly buy your cabbage whole and shred it yourself, but we love the fact that you can buy it at your local grocery already shredded or chopped and ready to go!
Cabbage is a super health food! Here are a few benefits:
- It is loaded with vitamin K and anthocyanins that help with mental function and concentration. These nutrients also prevent nerve damage, improving your defense against Alzheimer’s disease, and dementia. Red cabbage has the highest amount of these power nutrients.
- Cabbage also helps detoxify the body. The high content of vitamin C and sulphur in cabbage removes toxins (free radicals and uric acid). These are the main causes of arthritis, skin diseases, rheumatism and gout.
- Anti-inflammatory and Blood Sugar Regulator. The natural red pigments of red cabbage (betalains) is said to lower blood sugar levels and boost insulin production.
- Cabbage is very low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and is a good source of fiber. Are you trying to maintain a healthy weight? It will help fill you up, keep you regular, and fits into the zero-calorie group.
Homemade Creamy Garlic & Herb Dressing:
Homemade salad dressing is so much more delicious (and healthy) than store bought. The bottled dressings from the grocery are loaded with sugar and refined seed oils such as safflower or canola oil which cause inflammation and are unhealthy all around. Making dressing yourself is so easy and uses a few simple ingredients. Start with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and use your choice of vinegars, spices etc. Mix them up and you are set.
This dressing is a cinch and literally takes minutes to prepare.
- 2 Cloves Garlic (pressed)
- 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Water to thin
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Any Fresh chopped Herbs