Cauliflower is getting all the attention these days, but its cousin Broccoli has a lot of nutrition and deliciousness to offer as well. This quick and nutritious recipe can be made in a few minutes and is great as an appetizer or a side dish! Enjoy!
- 2 cups (packed) well drained roughly chopped soft cooked broccoli crowns/florets (do not use stalks).
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds
- 2 eggs – beaten
- ¾ cup shredded cheese (whatever you have on hand, manchengo, cheddar, gouda)
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil or Avocado spray
- Parchment paper for baking sheet
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line tray/cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Place all ingredients (except oil spray) in a bowl and combine with a fork, then use your hands to mash everything all together to get mixed well.
Scoop up a heaped tablespoon and then snap out onto the tray or into your hand to form a more symmetrical ball. Makes about 18 balls.
Spray with oil then bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until lightly crispy and golden.
Time Saver Tips:
- You can cook your broccoli a day or two before and store in the refrigerator.
- Bake flat – These aren’t nearly as pretty, but if you are not concerned about presentation this works to save some time. Take the broccoli mixture and place it on the baking sheet and start pressing it out to about 1/4 inch thick. Make sure it is evenly laid out. Then bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly crispy and golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing into squares with a pizza cutter. Note these will not get quite as crispy as the balls do.
These bites are delicious on their own or great to dip in our Creamy Ranch Dressing on Page 199 of the Eat Live Thrive Diet!